1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 c. all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
1 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 t. pure vanilla extract
1/2 t. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 6-cup (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch) loaf pan; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour, beating just until combined (do not over mix).
- Bake until a toothpaste in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour (tent with aluminum foil if browning too quickly).
- Let cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Invert onto a wire rack, and turn upright to cool completely.