1 egg3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers1 tablespoon finely chopped onion1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage3/4 pound ground beef1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained2 tablespoons butter3 tablespoons all-purpose flour1-3/4 cups water2 beef bouillon cubes1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optionalHot mashed potatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Shape into patties.
- In a medium skillet, cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side or until browned; drain.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour; blend well.
- Add water and bouillon; cook and stir until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in browning sauce if desired.
- Return patties to gravy and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Yield: 2 servings (or 3, depending on your preferences)