8 ounces whole-wheat lasagna noodlesDirections
1 pound lean spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
4 cups sliced mushrooms, (10 ounces)
1/4 cup water
1 pound frozen spinach, thawed
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably chunky
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 pound part-skim ricotta cheese, (2 cups)
8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until not quite tender, about 2 minutes less than the package directions.
- Drain; return the noodles to the pot, cover with cool water and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage more, until it is cooked through, the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Squeeze spinach to remove excess water, then stir into the pan; remove from heat.
- Mix tomatoes with basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- To assemble lasagna: Spread 1/2 cup of the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of noodles on top, trimming to fit if necessary.
- Evenly dollop half the ricotta over the noodles.
- Top with half the sausage mixture, one-third of the remaining tomatoes and one-third of the mozzarella.
- Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining ricotta, the remaining sausage, half the remaining tomatoes and half the remaining mozzarella.
- Top with a third layer of noodles and the remaining tomatoes.
- Cover the lasagna with foil and bake until bubbling and heated through, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil; sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is just melted but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.