2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch of crushed red pepper, optional
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1 packed cup baby spinach, chopped
1 cup ricotta
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
1 lb. store-bought pizza dough, divided into 4 portions
1 large egg
- Place a rack on bottom shelf of oven; preheat to 450 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper, if desired.
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add broccoli, saute for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in broccoli mixture.
- Working with 1 portion at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured counter into 8-inch rounds.
- Divide filling among dough circles (about 3/4 cup each).
- Fold dough over to enclose filling; press to seal edges.
- Beginning in one corner, stretch sealed edge outward, pinching and rolling dough up and over to form a decorative edge.
- Transfer calzones to baking sheet.
- Whisk egg and 1 tsp. water.
- Brush top of each calzone with egg wash.
- Cut 3 small vents in each calzone.
- Bake until golden, 13 - 15 minutes.
- Serve with tomato sauce if desired.
Cook Time: 13-15 minutes