This recipe came about after I tried a Vietnamese Spring Roll recipe and then made a favorite Egg Roll recipe a few days later. This Spring Roll recipe is a combination of both.
8 1/2-inch round rice paper wrappers
1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 T. oil
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 cup bean sprouts
3 T. oyster sauce
4 oz. rice virmicelli noodles
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the green onions, carrots, cabbage and bean sprouts.
- Cook until vegetables are cooked.
- Add oyster sauce.
- Set aside.
- Cut each shrimp in half horizontally.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside
- Place a clean, damp kitchen towel on the work surface.
- Fill a frying pan, or wide shallow dish (large enough to hold the rice paper wrappers) with hot water.
- Working with 1 wrapper at a time, completely submerge the wrapper until it is soft and pliable, about 15 seconds.
- Remove the wrapper from the water and place it on the towel.
- Lay 3 shrimp halves in a row, cut side up, just above center of the wrapper, leave about 1 inch of space on each side.
- Layer 1/4 cup rice noodles over the shrimp.
- Spread cooked vegetable mixture over the noodles.
- Fold the bottom half of the rice paper wrapper over the filling.
- Fold the sides of the wrapper in.
- While pressing firmly down to hold the folds in place, roll the entire wrapper horizontally up form bottom to top.
- Turn the roll so that the seam is down and the row of shrimp faces up.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Repeat process with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Leave 3/4 inch between each roll so they don't stick together.
- Replace the water in the pan with hot tap water as needed.