12 extra-large jalapeno peppers, grilled or roasted
4 strips thick-cut bacon
1 small sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. Mexican chorizo
1 c. previously grilled or sauteed shrimp, chopped
1 c. cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Grill or roast the peppers for 20 minutes, or just until peppers are cooked through, but still firm. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the bacon at medium/low heat until crispy.
- In the same pan, add the onions and garlic.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the Mexican chorizo and cook for another 6 to 7 minutes, breaking down the chorizo as it cooks. If there is too much grease in the pan, drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Slice the jalapenos in half, lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins.
- In a bowl, combine the chorizo mixture, bacon, shrimp, and shredded cheese.
- Fill all jalapenos.
- Chill the stuffed peppers for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the poppers for 10 to 12 minutes, then for 1 to 2 minutes under the broiler.
- Garnish with your favorite salsa.
Tip: Grill peppers and shrimp ahead of time, even a day ahead of time.