8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
2 T. canning salt
1-3/4 c. white vinegar
1 c. sugar
1 t. dried thyme
- Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt and toss.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to remove excess liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Add onions and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture.
- Wipe rims.
- Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water.
- Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool.