1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 2/3 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
3-5 drops bright green food coloring
3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. corn starch
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 1/2 c. red and green M&Ms plus additional 1/2 c. for topping cookies, if desired
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until well-combined and light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract and food coloring, until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Add ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold in M&Ms and cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop cookie dough by heaping 1 1/2 Tbsp-sized scoops onto prepared cookie sheets, for perfectly round cookies roll dough in your hands into a smooth ball.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes.
- If desired, gently press additional M&Ms into the tops of each cookie for decoration while they are still warm.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.
Substitute red/white/pink M&Ms and pink food coloring (in place of green) at Valentine's Day for a Valentine's Day treat.