2 medium eggplants
1 T. olive oil
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 oz. lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
3 c. canned whole Italian tomatoes (no salt added), chopped
6 large or 10 small black olives, pitted and chopped
1 1/2 t. minced fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 T. + 1 t. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into halves.
- With serrated spoon, scoop out eggplant pulp, leaving 1/2" shells.
- Chop pulp; set aside.
- Place eggplant shells, cut-side down, onto nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes; turn shells over. Bake 10 minutes longer, until shells are just tender.
- Remove from oven; set aside. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil; add onions, bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Add beef; cook, stirring to break up meat, 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes, olives, oregano, black pepper and reserved eggplant pulp; bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, stirring frequently, 25-30 minutes, until mixture is thickened and flavors are blended.
- Spoon one-fourth of beef mixture into each eggplant shell; sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, until slightly crispy.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving Size: 1 stuffed eggplant half
Makes 4 servings