1 - 19 oz. package of Sweet Italian Sausage links, casing removed
12 oz. ziti pasta
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c. red wine
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
2 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 T. olive oil, divided
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 28 oz. can crushed plum tomatoes
1/3 c. Kalamata olives, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage, crumble and cook until no longer pink and lightly browned.
- Drain and transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile prepare ziti according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water, cover and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add eggplant and cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Using the same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute until tender.
- pour wine into skillet, increase heat to medium-high and continue to stir until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl with the sausage mixture, add cooked pasta, basil, olives, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.