1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 c. boiling water
2 t. baking soda
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. chopped dates
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla
4 c. flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine water, baking soda, nuts, and dates in a sauce pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cream together butter and both sugars
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Add flour and date mixture. Mix well.
- Grease and flour baking pans.
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from pans and let cool