1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. and 1 T. finely chopped walnuts
1-1/3 c. any flavor fruit jam
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Separate egg, reserving egg white. Cream butter or margarine, sugar, and egg yolk.
- Add vanilla, flour and salt, mixing well.
- Shape dough into balls. Roll in egg white, then walnuts.
- Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven.
- With thumb, dent each cookie.
- Put jelly or preserves in each thumbprint.
- Bake for another 8 minutes.