1 box lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
1 jar marinara sauce
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. mild Italian sausage
1 large onion, diced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
15 oz. container ricotta cheese
16 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook for 6-8 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Add sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Set aside to cool.
- Stir in ricotta, season with salt and pepper, fold in basil.
- Cover the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish with sauce/sausage/cheese mixture.
- Top with one layer of lasagna noodles.
- Cover with sausage/sauce/cheese mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Repeat for a total of 4 layers.
- Sprinkle with Parmigiano over the top layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbling and slightly browning in the corners.
- Remove lasagna from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.