Making homemade frozen hashbrowns with extra potatoes is a great way to save money. Your extra potatoes don't go bad, and you have frozen hashbrowns ready to heat and serve when you need them.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash your potatoes and prick them a few times with a fork.
- Bake potatoes for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until they are baked through.
- Let potatoes cool a bit.
- Place in refrigerator until completely cool (overnight is fine).
- Remove potato skins.
- Shred the potatoes on a grater.
- Freeze in freezer safe bags.
Side note: Be sure to label your shredded potatoes, once they are frozen, they have strong resemblance to shredded mozzarella, and unlabeled bags can get mixed up.