2 packages dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1/2 c. milk, scalded
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1-1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. maple extract
1 unbeaten egg
2-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. maple flavoring
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Combine all ingredients.
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Add yeast to warm water.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the scalded milk, sugar, butter, salt and vanilla.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Blend in egg and softened yeast.
- Gradually add the four to make a soft dough.
- Beat well.
- Form into a ball, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Mix Filling ingredients.
- After dough has risen divide into 3 equal balls.
- On lightly floured surface roll out one ball of dough to a 10 inch circle.
- Fit onto the bottom of a greased 10-12 inch pizza pan or large cookie sheet.
- Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling.
- Continue in same manner, forming 2 more layers and ending with the filling.
- Use a glass to mark a 2 inch circle in the center of the dough (do not cut through the dough).
- Cut from outside edge to circle forming 16 pie-shaped wedges.
- Twist each of the 3-layered wedges 5 times.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, flavoring and milk till smooth.
- Add a bit more milk if necessary until frosting is thin enough to drizzle over the coffee cake.
- Drizzle with glaze while still warm.