This recipe is very similar to Cracker Barrel's Chicken n' Dumplins.
2 cups Flour½ teaspoons Baking Powder1 pinch Salt2 Tablespoons Butter1 Cup buttermilk, A Bit Less Than A Full Cup (you can use regular milk if needed)2 quarts Chicken Broth3 cups Cooked Chicken
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with. I like to use a pizza cutter. I also like to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.
- Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 1"x1". They do not have to be uniform or exact.
- Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate. Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.
- To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they are not doughy tasting. Add the cooked chicken to the pot, stir and you are done!