1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp table salt)
3 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp.
2 ounces (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened at room temp.
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup almonds, finely chopped
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
5 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt
2-3 medium (~ 1 lb) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9x9 inch square baking pan with parchment.
- Butter the parchment.
To make the crust:
- Sift flour and salt.
- Set aside dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the almond and vanilla extracts and beat on medium until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium speed until blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- On low speed, mix in the flour-salt mixture and the 1/3 cup of finely chopped almonds just until the dough comes together. It should be crumbly.
- Reserve about 2/3 cup of the crust mixture (for the topping).
- Press the remaining dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake until light golden, about 16-18 minutes.
- Remove crust from the oven.
To make the topping:
- While the crust bakes, make the topping by adding the flour, granulated and brown sugars to the reserved dough.
- Mix until well combined. It should be crumbly.
- Set aside topping and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, lemon juice and salt until well mixed.
- Arrange the apple slices over your baked crust.
- Pour the cream cheese filling over the apples and gently spread the filling to cover.
- Crumble the topping over the filling.
- Sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 45-50 minutes.
- Let the bars cool in the pan for about 30 minutes.
Makes one 9x9 inch square pan